Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Hi Joyce,
For me the big take away this year -- well, for my 2 days at camp -- is encapsulated in the attached picture. The person you see w/ Orlando is Edgar, whose nickname is Bonbon.

Two years ago, when I volunteered last at camp, Bonbon was the #1 trouble maker in the "old kids" group. I remember bc a # of times I had to discipline him -- or try to discipline him. There are some children who clearly enjoy camp and others who just seem to be there bc they have nothing better to do. With this latter group I often wondered if anything sinks in.

Jim, left. Bonbon, middle. Fabi, right.
I received my answer to this question on Tuesday as Bonbon signed in to volunteer. My jaw hit the floor when I saw him; i asked Fabi "Isn't that Bonbon? He was the #1 trouble-maker two years ago. I never thought I'd see him again. HE is volunteering?"

Fabi explained how he promised to behave. It wasn't that I didn't think he'd behave but I was flabbergasted by the fact that Bonbon, someone who just seemed to attend camp bc he had nothing better to do, now is a volunteer. His parents don't belong to Verbo the interest in volunteering is 100% due to the impact that TD camp had on him.

Just as Jesus did "... not come to call the righteous, but sinners” I don't judge a camp by how the "good" kids are impacted but I focus on how camp impacts those "less than good." There may never be a better testament, in my eyes, to how camp impacts children than Bonbon volunteering.

Regards,
Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting...