Saturday, November 26, 2022

Hospitality

She had a smile on her face as she opened the door. She also had splatters of flour on hands and apron.

"Come on in," she said. "I'm baking pies." And there was one on the counter: definitely apple. Small peels everywhere. I didn't know June Ochsner well. She was, like me, a Navy wife.

Both our husbands were out on extended patrols. We were living in Hawaii on Oahu far, far away from family. I was beyond lonely that day and so I had called. As I sat down and watched her roll out the next crust we chatted. Details elude me but I started to feel cared for. I also felt welcomed.

June was not in the slightest bit self conscious about the way her kitchen looked. Nor was I. She had put me at ease in some mysterious way and I found the awful aloneness of that day starting to lift.

The second pie was in and my stomach was rumbling a bit. Now I was not so lonely but more hungry. I had been cooking for just myself which was very boring and now I was sitting in some kind of baking dream. The second pie was out and cooling on the counter. I was now drinking coffee and getting more acquainted with June.

And, of course, when the pie had cooled enough, she sliced me an oversized piece which I gaily consumed.

It was the best piece of birthday pie/cake I ever had!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting...