Sunday, May 8, 2011

Being A Mother

I don't think there is anything more challenging or rewarding than being a mother.

Who can forget the first glimpse of that baby cleaned up and wrapped up and carried to the mother in the hospital. Of course it is love. The relationship started months ago with that first little movement. Now the real child comes.

And with the baby comes mother nerves. Is the baby okay. Check fingers and toes. Can I nurse this baby? How can I manage this awesome responsibility. When I go home can I take all these nurses and helpers with me?

I think the sight of the baby causes most of us mothers to realize we are way beyond our depth. Who forgets the first visit to the pediatrician. Is the baby gaining enough weight? How can I possibly cut his toenails? When will I ever sleep again through the night? And then, in doesn't seem long, the first partings. Dropping off the little one to nursery school and rushing back a few hours later to make sure that the kid is okay.

As I said a few blogs back I can't imagine how hard it would be to go through all the challenges without a husband. Most of the children accepted into Touchdown Camp are from single mom families. Most of them are carrying an impossible load of work, children and responsibility.

Some of them have not had good parenting experiences themselves. One mom recently came to Patty Cardona with an unusual question. How do I learn to hug? Her children had been receiving hugs at Verbo church but she herself did not know how to do this for her own children.

Count yourself blessed if you had a mother who could hug you. Count yourself blessed if you had both a mother and a father who listened to you, helped you with homework, took you for ice cream and watched you grow up..

When we look at the needs around us, we know, that all the love we have received can be used if we just step out and reach out to others to help them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting...