Saturday, April 2, 2011

Home

There is an old saying: "Home is where your heart is." Home may be a physical place but it can also be an area.


Few of you may know that San Jose is my home town. I grew up here. Went to elementary school through high school. My parents owned a home in San Jose for 50 years and so there was a home that was "there for me" for many, many years.

Since relocating back to San Jose, I am discovering a huge love for San Jose and for the children.


It is a very different city from years ago. It is much more diverse. It is also more affluent and more needy. In San Jose there is a 10% unemployment rate. How does that translate for the children? No money for extras: in some cases not enough money for food. Every bill is a struggle for the poverty level family.


THE NEED IS GREAT but God's HEART IS BIGGER than the need here. We are working here: meeting with a few friends to start the ball rolling towards opening a work for the children. We have a potential place for the work. We are seeking how we can best serve.

Recently I met a woman who has worked for a county agency assessing children who may have learning disabilities. She works all over Santa Clara County including San Jose. I asked her about San Jose and where the need is the hardest.

"There are pockets of need all over San Jose," she told me. The start up team here will assess and decide where we start. It is probable that in time the work may be larger than one location.

An interesting fact: only 7% of families in Santa Clara County have any kind of church affiliation. This means that there is a huge opportunity for people who care to reach out with love, kindness, and practical help to make a life changing difference in this valley.

The lost sheep need all of us to do something. Jesus said, "As you have done it unto the least of these my brethren, you have done it unto me."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting...